KOLOMNABARS

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Вы здесь » KOLOMNABARS » I have a question... » Grammar - FAQ

Grammar - FAQ

Сообщений 1 страница 30 из 38

None of us IS a great grammarian, I am afraid, so we do need some space to discuss grammar puzzles (sounds better than problems, ah?).

You are welcome to paste your  questions here ... to puzzle ME!
I will try to clarify them - if you are too shy (which, to my mind, is highly unlikely), send your questions directly to me and I will get in touch.

Which tense is used in the sentence: "Наконец-то ты пришел"? When we were discussing this question in class we didn't come to any satisfactory conclusion.  I think it is: "You have come at last". Do you agree? I am not sure and I will be glad to have this problem clarified.

Kate написал(а):

Which tense is used in the sentence: "Наконец-то ты пришел"?

Well, it depends.
I think an English person would say: "Here you are at last!" That's the best way to put it.

Your varient is OK, if you open the door and see the person in question.

Unfortunately, there is World English (based on American English) - and they may use the Past Simple in the sentence above, which is monstrous to me ... at least.

Go for Here you are at last -  sounds natural.

Why do we learn grammar?(a silly question)

Some prepositions cause difficulties.

we should use the pronoun "which" to give extra information.but how can i understand that it is really extra information??????

I do not know what to write...sorry

Egor4ik:

Your modesty IS impressive ...

How can that be translated:"the  whole world's stage and men and women merelyplayers''

St@sya написал(а):

we should use the pronoun "which" to give extra information.but how can i understand that it is really extra information??????

If you mean the follwing case - I saw her alone, which was strange - the answer is in the pattern.

The comma (,) before the word "which" means that the sentence attached refers to the whole sentence, not to the word used before it.

The translation runs as follows: "Я видел ее одну, что было странно."

misty написал(а):

How can that be translated:"the  whole world's stage and men and women merelyplayers''

Весь мир - театр, и все мы  в нем - актеры.

A strange question to ask .... at the end of the topic, Misty! Don't you think?

what is the difference between "Who is he?" and "What is he?"

When we use the verb to be in plural in word -boundaries neither nor and either or?

Why do we learn grammar?(a silly question)

What is the difference between the conjuctive and reflexive pronouns?

lyudmila написал(а):

Some prepositions cause difficulties.

Specify, please.

Tanya написал(а):

what is the difference between "Who is he?" and "What is he?"

Who is he? - You are asking for a name or a relation to the speaker.

He is my brother Bob.

What is he? - You are asking for an occupation.

He is a pilot.

tutor написал(а):

If you mean the follwing case - I saw her alone, which was strange - the answer is in the pattern.

The comma (,) before the word "which" means that the sentence attached refers to the whole sentence, not to the word used before it.

The translation runs as follows: "Я видел ее одну, что было странно."

For example, "I have found my keys ... I lost." what should we use here "that" or "which", and why?

which textbook is the best one considering the grammar?

I have never thought that pronouns can cause so many troubles with using them...

Margoshe4ka написал(а):

When we use the verb to be in plural in word -boundaries neither nor and either or?

After or   or nor   the verb agrees with the subject CLOSEST to it.

Compare the examples below:

Either   the boys or   their sister HAS promised to come.

Neither   the teacher nor   the students WANT to make up the class they missed.

Margoshe4ka написал(а):

I have never thought that pronouns can cause so many troubles with using them...

Specify what exactly causes the problem ...

lyudmila написал(а):

What is the difference between the conjuctive and reflexive pronouns?

:rolleyes: Well, though these pronouns are difficult to mix up but if you are still in doubt, read on...

Conjunctive pronouns   are who, what, whose, which.

They  not only point back to some person or thing mentioned before but also have conjunctive power, introducing subordinate clauses (subject clauses, object clauses, predicative clauses).
e.g.
What June had taken for personal interest was only the impersonal excitement of every Forsyte…
(SUBJECT CLAUSE)

What you want, in fact, is a first-rate man for a fourth-rate fee, and that's exactly what you've got!   (PREDICATIVE CLAUSE)

I don't want to hear what you've come for. (OBJECT CLAUSE)

Reflexife pronouns refer to the subject of the sentence in which they are used, indicating that the action performed by the doer passes back to him or is associated with him.
e.g.
In that moment of emotion he betrayed the Forsyte in him - forgot himself, his interests, his property. (DIRECT OBJECT)

When she came back she was herself again. (PREDICATIVE)

tutor написал(а):

For example, "I have found my keys ... I lost." what should we use here "that" or "which", and why?

;) Well, it depends ...

There are contexts when these two conjunctions are interchangeable, there are some in which they are not  :)

Let's consider your case.

The rule says that after nouns, we use that to introduce both relative clauses and noun clauses. There are important  differences. Compare the examples below:

(1) He made a promise that he would return all the money. (=noun clause)
(2) He made a promise that (or which) he failed to keep. (=relative clause)

In the first example, the noun clause extends the meaning of the noun promise and tells us what it is. We can't replace that with which.

In the second example we don't know exactly what the promise was. In relative clauses we can usually replace that with which.

Speaking of your sentence, you can use any of them - because the clause is RELATIVE.  ;)

Myrka написал(а):

;) It depends what you need a grammar book for:

One of the best series which combines theory and practice is Michael Vince's Language Practice Books

Language Practice First Certificate New Edition with key

Учебное Пособие по Грамматике Английского Языка
ISBN: 1405007664
Код EAN-13: 9781405007665
Автор(ы): Michael Vince
Носитель: Книга
Размер: 270 мм x 196 мм
Издательство: Macmillan
Язык: English
Уровень языка: Продвинутый
Возрастная группа: Не указана
Формат: Paperback
Вес, гр.:
Страниц:

Основной задачей данного пособия является учащимся усовершенствовать свои знания в области лексики и грамматики современного английского языка, а также подготовиться к международному экзамену First Certificate in English (FCE). Данный учебник состоит изпромежуточных тестов в формате экзамена, дающих возможность проверить степень усвоения пройденного материала; тридцати уроков по грамматике, содержащих подробные объяснения грамматических явлений и правил; тренировочных упражненийтворческого характера; упражнений на проверку степени понимания и усвоения пройденного материала; восемнадцати уроков по лексике современного английского языка, особое внимание в которых уделено проблемам словообразования, фразовым глаголам, предлогам и устойчивым словосочетаниям. Пособие First Certificate Language Practice может быть использовано в качестве самоучителя по грамматике и лексике современного английского языка, а также на занятиях в группе с преподавателем.

Myrka написал(а):

Here is another one of the same series.

Language Practice Advanced New Edition with key

Учебное Пособие по Грамматике Английского Языка
ISBN: 1405007621
Код EAN-13: 9781405007627
Автор(ы): Michael Vince
Носитель: Книга
Размер: 270 мм x 196 мм
Издательство: Macmillan
Язык: English
Уровень языка: Продвинутый
Возрастная группа: Не указана
Формат: Paperback

Advanced Language Practiceграмматическое пособие, предназначенное для совершенствования знаний в области лексики и грамматики современного английского языка на продвинутом этапе и для подготовки к сдаче экзаменовCAE и Proficiency. Данное издание полностью переработано с учетом новых форматов экзаменов CAE и Proficiency. Особое внимание уделяется работе над фразовыми глаголами, устойчивыми сочетаниями, идиоматическими выражениями, стилистически окрашенной лексикой. Кроме того, в пособие включены упражнения, на закрепление правил орфографии и пунктуации, а также особенностям построения письменного высказывания. Разделы на повторение пройденного материала включают задания в формате экзаменов CAE и Proficiency.

Myrka написал(а):

Here is another book which gives brilliant explanation of theory from the PRACTICAL point of view. A must-have, if you ask me.

PRACTICAL ENGLISH  USAGE by Michael Swan
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Level: Intermediate to Advanced

With over one and a half million copies sold worldwide, PRACTICAL ENGLISH USAGE has become the indispensable reference book on language problems in English for teachers and higher-level learners.

What is NEW in the THIRD (FULLY REVISED) EDITION?

UPDATED ENTRIES ( more than 600) and examples based on corpus data and users` components

Explanations even CLEARER and MORE FOCUSED

NEW CONTENTS list and IMPROVED INDEX for easier, faster reference

Many NEW TOPICS, including emails, standard English and dialects, correctness, politeness, differences between spoken and written English, changes in English

“DON`T SAY IT!” section – 130 common mistakes in English and HOW TO AVOID THEM.

Oi, I've mixed up RELATIVE and Conjunctive pronouns!!! For example, In the sentence "You see, Hushabye, you are what women consider a good-looking man" WHAT  is what kind of pronoun?

what is the difference between passive voice and causative form?

How should the noun "Watch "(наручные часы) be used- with the verb in the singular or in plural?

Вы здесь » KOLOMNABARS » I have a question... » Grammar - FAQ

Создать форум. Создать магазин