KOLOMNABARS

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Вы здесь » KOLOMNABARS » English Club » The Power of Art

The Power of Art

Сообщений 1 страница 16 из 16

'The power of the greatest art is the power to shake us into revelation and rip us from our default mode of seeing. After an encounter with that force, we don't look at a face, a colour, a sky, a body, in quite the same way again. We get fitted with new sight: in-sight. Visions of beauty or a rush of intense pleasure are part of that process, but so too may be shock, pain, desire, pity, even revulsion. That kind of art seems to have rewired our senses. We apprehend the world differently.

Art that aims that high – whether by the hand of Caravaggio, Van Gogh or Picasso – was not made without trouble and strife. Of course there has been plenty of great art created in serenity, but the popular idea that some masterpieces were made under acute stress with the artist struggling for the integrity of the conception and its realisation is not a "romantic myth" at all. A glance at how some of the most transforming works got made by human hands is an encounter with "moments of commotion"...

that's what the author of the series Simon Schama writes about in the introduction to his series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/powerofart/intro.shtml

The painters you can see and learn about from the series are as follows:

1) Caravaggio
2) Rembrandt
3) Van Gogh
4) Picasso
5) Turner
6) Bernini
7) David
8) Rothko

Choose a painter wh appeals to you most and make your claim.  :D

The first choice has been made.

Sorry, ladies and gentlemen, Rembrandt, has been chosen.

The film goes to Myrka.

Dear tutor, I'd like to see the film about Van Gogh!

St@sya has chosen Van Gogh

Biography
Full Name:  Vincent Willem Van Gogh

Born:  1853

Died:  1890

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Born in Groot-Zundert, The Netherlands, Van Gogh spent his early life as an art dealer, teacher and preacher in England, Holland and Belgium. His period as an artist began in 1881 when he chose to study art in Brussels, starting with watercolours and moving quickly on to oils. The French countryside was a major influence on his life and his early work was dominated by sombre, earthy colours depicting peasant workers, the most famous of which is The Potato Eaters, 1885...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/powerofart/vangogh.shtml

I'd like to see the film about Picasso=)

Dear tutor, I would like to take Turner

Отредактировано Margoshe4ka (2007-11-15 09:52:20)

s3kozka написал(а):

I'd like to see the film about Picasso=)

The third choice has been made.

Picasso

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Biography
Full Name:  Pablo Picasso
Born: 1881
Died: 1973

Born in Malaga, Spain, Picasso's many styles and prolific work rate have marked him out as one of the most recognised artists of the twentieth century. Not limited to one medium he created sculptures, etchings and prints. His artistic career only began to boom once he moved to Paris in the early 1900s. His Blue Period, reflecting the colour and his mood at the time was followed by his Rose Period, work inspired by primitive art and then Cubism, which shocked the critics, but ultimately made his name....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/powerofart/picasso.shtml

Margoshe4ka написал(а):

I would like to take Turner

The fourth choice has been made.

Turner
Biography
Full Name: Joseph Mallord William Turner
Born:  1775
Died: 1851

One of Britain's most celebrated artists, Turner showed exceptional artistic talent from an early age and entered the Royal Academy aged fourteen. His English landscapes made his name but there was a darker side to his paintings that was difficult for the critics to swallow, both in the increasingly informal use of paint and the subject matter that was critical of the romanticised vision of Britain in the late nineteenth century...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/powerofart/turner.shtml

I would like to see the film about David

Oksana написал(а):

I would like to see the film about David

Oksana's choice is David.

Biography
Full Name:  Jacques-Louis David
Born:  1748
Died: 1825

Born to a wealthy Parisian family, Jacques-Louis David was aged seven when his father was shot dead in a pistol duel. Brought up by his uncles, his desire was to paint and he was eventually sent to his mother's cousin, Francois Boucher, the most successful painter in France at the time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/powerofart/david.shtml

tutor написал(а):

1) Caravaggio
6) Bernini
8) Rothko

Only these painters are left. Hurry up!

tutor написал(а):

Only these painters are left. Hurry up!

1) Caravaggio - Funny Bunny

6) Bernini       - Lyudmilla

8) Rothko       - Alis_Nerd

Take your time, ladies! ;)

Mind you have TWO weeks (including this one) to make a Powerpoint presentation about your painter.
It must be based on your film, have info about the painter, his major works and external links (or references).

Presentation time: Monday, December 3rd

[взломанный сайт]
W I N T E R ! ! !

tutor написал(а):

Presentation time: Monday, December 3rd

The presentation is TODAY. :D

The theme will be closed - hurry up if you have anything to say!!! ;)

Вы здесь » KOLOMNABARS » English Club » The Power of Art

Создать форум. Создать магазин